- Cottonwood Canyon in a Beautiful Spring Rain. Saturday, March 31, 2012.
- Friends of Montclair RR Trail Volunteer Workday!! Saturday, February 18, 2012.
- Newly Planted Natives Revel in the Rain! Monday, February 13, 2012.
- Fern Ravine Planting Day with Friends of Sausal Creek! Saturday, February 11, 2012.
- Conclusive Broom Removal Begins, and We Plant the First Native Wildflowers!! Sunday, February 5, and Onwards!
- Cottonwood (Beaconsfield) Canyon Volunteer Workday!! Saturday, January 28, 2011.
- Montclair Park Progress Continues: Volunteers of America Remove the Overburden. Monday, January 30, 2012.
- Volunteers of America Kick A** on the Broom Thicket, Thursday, January 26, 2012.
- Monclair Park Restoration Project Update: Awesome Example of Decades-Old French Broom. Thursday, January 26, 2012.
- Montclair Park Update: How Local, Community-based Habitat Restoration Volunteers Heal Our Parks and Save our City $$. Tuesday, January 24, 2012.
- Montclair Park Restoration Project, Sausal Creek Watershed. Tuesday, January 24, 2012.
- Old Camp in Joaquin Miller Park Near Redwood Bowl
- Splendid East Ridge Broom Pull! Redwood Regional Park, Saturday, November 5, 2011
- Pallid Manzanita Workday with Friends of Sausal Creek!! Saturday, September 10, 2011.
- Beaconsfield Canyon Plant Pathology: Technical Post
- Goodness, Where Did That Come From? Beaconsfield Canyon, Saturday, July 31, 2011.
- Beaconsfield Canyon Workday with Friends of Sausal Creek!! Saturday, July 31, 2011.
- Big Prairie Broom Removal Plots: Reprise, Rationale, and Protocol
- Friends of Sausal Creek: Fern Ravine Wetland Area Restoration! Saturday, July 9, 2011.
- East Ridge Broom Pull: Beautiful New Prairie and Newly Discovered Patch of the Big Stuff! Saturday, July 2, 2011
Category Archives: Fern Ravine Restoration Project
Misty morning, perfect for planting! First to go in the ground were two big sword ferns rescued from the Big Trees Trail re-route in summer of 2010. As I was on that Volunteers for Outdoor California (V-O-Cal) project, and in … Continue reading
Summer has arrived up at Fern Ravine, which means… weeding! Those heavy late rains were good for many of the natives, certainly, but equally good for the thistles and introduced annual grasses that are endeavoring to smother them. So out … Continue reading
After exploring the wetland area for a bit to see the current state of things (there have been a number of restoration workdays in this vicinity, see the other Sausal Creek Watershed postings!) I caught up with the caravan down … Continue reading
This is a classic example of a French broom monoculture — a wall, a sea of broom, with no room for anything else to grow, and no views of the forest from within these green tunnels. Many of the trails … Continue reading
Updated Friday, February 25 What a winter!! Big, big storm blew in on Tuesday night and the rain has hardly let up since. Torrential downpours Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, even greater torrents on Thursday, and frequent, steady rain during … Continue reading
Lovely, lovely morning planting dozens of trees on slopes bracketing the wetland at the head of Fern Ravine, near the crest of the Sausal Creek watershed. After a brief tutorial from Megan on the art of planting trees, we were … Continue reading