- Cottonwood Canyon in a Beautiful Spring Rain. Saturday, March 31, 2012.
- Friends of Montclair RR Trail Volunteer Workday!! Saturday, February 18, 2012.
- Newly Planted Natives Revel in the Rain! Monday, February 13, 2012.
- Fern Ravine Planting Day with Friends of Sausal Creek! Saturday, February 11, 2012.
- Conclusive Broom Removal Begins, and We Plant the First Native Wildflowers!! Sunday, February 5, and Onwards!
- Cottonwood (Beaconsfield) Canyon Volunteer Workday!! Saturday, January 28, 2011.
- Montclair Park Progress Continues: Volunteers of America Remove the Overburden. Monday, January 30, 2012.
- Volunteers of America Kick A** on the Broom Thicket, Thursday, January 26, 2012.
- Monclair Park Restoration Project Update: Awesome Example of Decades-Old French Broom. Thursday, January 26, 2012.
- Montclair Park Update: How Local, Community-based Habitat Restoration Volunteers Heal Our Parks and Save our City $$. Tuesday, January 24, 2012.
- Montclair Park Restoration Project, Sausal Creek Watershed. Tuesday, January 24, 2012.
- Old Camp in Joaquin Miller Park Near Redwood Bowl
- Splendid East Ridge Broom Pull! Redwood Regional Park, Saturday, November 5, 2011
- Pallid Manzanita Workday with Friends of Sausal Creek!! Saturday, September 10, 2011.
- Beaconsfield Canyon Plant Pathology: Technical Post
- Goodness, Where Did That Come From? Beaconsfield Canyon, Saturday, July 31, 2011.
- Beaconsfield Canyon Workday with Friends of Sausal Creek!! Saturday, July 31, 2011.
- Big Prairie Broom Removal Plots: Reprise, Rationale, and Protocol
- Friends of Sausal Creek: Fern Ravine Wetland Area Restoration! Saturday, July 9, 2011.
- East Ridge Broom Pull: Beautiful New Prairie and Newly Discovered Patch of the Big Stuff! Saturday, July 2, 2011
Monthly Archives: June 2011
There is a lot of conjecture about where our immense ancient redwoods once stood, and about how far the forest extended beyond what we see today, but apparently no one has definitively sleuthed it. It is written that there is … Continue reading
Perfect sunny day with a light breeze, and goodness did we pull broom! The pile behind us includes about a million seeds that are ready to go, so we put them all in one spot to keep track of them. … Continue reading
Gave the camera a bit of a rest today, but here are a few photos of the morning’s progress!
There is a forgotten gem in the heart of Montclair, on a beautiful hill up behind the recreation center and tot lot. Most long-time residents of the area probably know about it–it is, after all, a prominent and very unusual … Continue reading
For those who like epic walls of broom, this is the place! As you’ll see a bit further down this post, there are acres upon acres of tall, old-growth broom thickets that have swept across the grasslands and buried the … Continue reading
Summer has arrived up at Fern Ravine, which means… weeding! Those heavy late rains were good for many of the natives, certainly, but equally good for the thistles and introduced annual grasses that are endeavoring to smother them. So out … Continue reading