- Cottonwood Canyon in a Beautiful Spring Rain. Saturday, March 31, 2012.
- Friends of Montclair RR Trail Volunteer Workday!! Saturday, February 18, 2012.
- Newly Planted Natives Revel in the Rain! Monday, February 13, 2012.
- Fern Ravine Planting Day with Friends of Sausal Creek! Saturday, February 11, 2012.
- Conclusive Broom Removal Begins, and We Plant the First Native Wildflowers!! Sunday, February 5, and Onwards!
- Cottonwood (Beaconsfield) Canyon Volunteer Workday!! Saturday, January 28, 2011.
- Montclair Park Progress Continues: Volunteers of America Remove the Overburden. Monday, January 30, 2012.
- Volunteers of America Kick A** on the Broom Thicket, Thursday, January 26, 2012.
- Monclair Park Restoration Project Update: Awesome Example of Decades-Old French Broom. Thursday, January 26, 2012.
- Montclair Park Update: How Local, Community-based Habitat Restoration Volunteers Heal Our Parks and Save our City $$. Tuesday, January 24, 2012.
- Montclair Park Restoration Project, Sausal Creek Watershed. Tuesday, January 24, 2012.
- Old Camp in Joaquin Miller Park Near Redwood Bowl
- Splendid East Ridge Broom Pull! Redwood Regional Park, Saturday, November 5, 2011
- Pallid Manzanita Workday with Friends of Sausal Creek!! Saturday, September 10, 2011.
- Beaconsfield Canyon Plant Pathology: Technical Post
- Goodness, Where Did That Come From? Beaconsfield Canyon, Saturday, July 31, 2011.
- Beaconsfield Canyon Workday with Friends of Sausal Creek!! Saturday, July 31, 2011.
- Big Prairie Broom Removal Plots: Reprise, Rationale, and Protocol
- Friends of Sausal Creek: Fern Ravine Wetland Area Restoration! Saturday, July 9, 2011.
- East Ridge Broom Pull: Beautiful New Prairie and Newly Discovered Patch of the Big Stuff! Saturday, July 2, 2011
Monthly Archives: February 2011
This is a classic example of a French broom monoculture — a wall, a sea of broom, with no room for anything else to grow, and no views of the forest from within these green tunnels. Many of the trails … Continue reading
Willow Stakes Sprouting at Skyline Gate Checkdams! Headwaters of Redwood Creek, Redwood Regional Park. Thursday, February 24, 2011.
These checkdams were installed in early December of last year and I photographed them for the first time on December 19 (see post for that day for a slideshow of their initial appearance). At that time it was only a … Continue reading
Updated Saturday, February 26, 2011 It poured, and snowed, and blew all week long, but as fate would have it today dawned bright and brisk and clear and so the project was on! Rangers Pamela and Di had staged the … Continue reading
Yesterday was the third restoration work day at Sibley, and already the change is quite marked here in the draw at the head of Round Top Creek. I made a critical mistake, however — I arrived half an hour early, … Continue reading
Updated Friday, February 25 What a winter!! Big, big storm blew in on Tuesday night and the rain has hardly let up since. Torrential downpours Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, even greater torrents on Thursday, and frequent, steady rain during … Continue reading
All the pulling of broom and vinca, digging out of sediment from behind the dams, and planting of new natives made for a fun, lively day on January 9 (see two posts below), but the proof of the pudding is … Continue reading
Redwood Regional Park Habitat Restoration Work Day, Sunday, February 13, 2011. (Various locations in lower canyon.)
Banner turnout this Sunday! Amazing what a little sunshine will do. Lots more to post soon! Am still busy updating the Kiosk Checkdams post (below), lots of new material there.